#linuxcnc Logs

Jul 31 2022

#linuxcnc Calendar

02:23 AM XXCoder: its cool https://youtu.be/9cT0jXI7l4E
04:44 AM JT-Cave: morning
04:54 AM Tom_L: morning
05:15 AM Tom_L: looks like we're in for some more 100+ temps again this week
05:15 AM Tom_L: overcast and 92 today
05:46 AM mrec: hmm I wonder why the peck drilling cycle does not support any dwelling
05:46 AM mrec: it should be peck and dwell or either ones but not exclusively
05:47 AM XXCoder: well you can always do peck cycles, then do dwell drill after that
05:47 AM XXCoder: so such combined command isnt seem to add anything
05:52 AM mrec: well it's retracting at the end of the command
05:53 AM XXCoder: well alterativly, series of dwell drills
05:54 AM mrec: which would make the peck g-code obsolete.
05:54 AM XXCoder: not really its extremely common one liner
05:54 AM mrec: I don't see why peck and dwell should exist separately
05:54 AM XXCoder: combo of needs you menioned is very uncommon
05:55 AM mrec: why should it be uncommon? I'm drilling into aluminum with a 1.75mm drill I do some pecking which is nice but at the end of it it won't clear everything because it jumps out too quick
05:56 AM mrec: dwelling itself exists for some reason... but why pecking shouldn't support dwelling I don't see a reason
05:57 AM mrec: https://www.haascnc.com/service/codes-settings.type=gcode.machine=mill.value=G83.html
05:57 AM mrec: there we go...
05:58 AM mrec: okay I'm going to add it to linuxcnc :-)
05:59 AM XXCoder: https://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.6/html/gcode/gcode.html#sec:G83-Drilling-Peck
05:59 AM XXCoder: it already exists?
06:00 AM XXCoder: all you need really is 2 liner, g83 then g82 to clear stuff out
06:00 AM jpa-: haas supports the P parameter
06:01 AM jpa-: which would make sense to add to linuxcnc also
06:01 AM mrec: XXCoder: there's no P for dwelling
06:02 AM XXCoder: ahh ok
06:02 AM XXCoder: missed that because haas site has cross script error of some kind
06:02 AM mrec: I have to thread 800 holes here so I'm really into that
06:20 AM mrec: anyone interested in adding it? I can just upload the diff once it's tested
06:21 AM mrec: I'm compiling it now
06:58 AM mrec: https://sundtek.de/support/g83_p_dwelling.diff just in case someone would like to add it. P (dwelling) to G83
08:13 AM travis_farmer[m]: man what a PITA... a power transformer blew up somewhere, knocked out my Cable internet, and disrupted the router bad enough i had to do a factory reset, again! so my website is down until i can get all the configurations fixed. this day just went straight to heck....
08:23 AM perry_j1987: look into running a pfsense box as your router
08:24 AM Tom_L: pere is already complaining about too many pull requests
08:26 AM JT-Cave: I assume he is complaining about "his" pull requests...
08:27 AM Tom_L: could be
08:28 AM Tom_L: i can see how the P parameter could be useful
08:29 AM Tom_L: installed sid last evening
08:29 AM Tom_L: tested your config & mesaflash on it
08:29 AM Tom_L: no lcnc yet
08:31 AM Tom_L: easiest is to update a current 11 install
08:31 AM Tom_L: then change the sources list
08:34 AM JT-Cave: did you do a sudo apt full-upgrade?
08:34 AM pere: JT-Cave: bad assumtion.
08:36 AM JT-Cave: oh well
08:38 AM pere: some are 6 or 4 years old, see <URL: https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pulls?page=2&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen >. It is very demotivating to potential contributors the project should nurture, not distain.
08:38 AM JT-Cave: you would think there would be a time limit on pr's
08:38 AM pere: JT-Cave: I would?
08:39 AM JT-Cave: it's a figure of speech
08:41 AM pere: given that for example the patch from 2016 is still relevant, I suspect the idea is moot.
08:42 AM pere: personally I find the handling of <URL: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/26553 > offensive, and so demotivating that I have switched to the competitor openhub. :)
08:43 AM Tom_L: sudo apt update and sudo apt dist-upgrade after changing the sources list
08:43 AM pere: that project have a time limit on their tickets, just because no-one bother to look at them...
08:46 AM mrec: I finally closed my pull requests on freecad because I didn't want to bother. If some developers think things should be done another way they should go for it
08:46 AM mrec: the result was that the bug is still in freecad, and other modifications aren't there so things cannot be built upon them.
08:47 AM Tom_L: JT-Cave, if interested: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
08:47 AM Tom_L: deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
08:47 AM mrec: and I run my own version of freecad so everyone's happy.
08:48 AM Tom_L: i'm not
08:48 AM Tom_L: you didn't share it with me!
08:48 AM JT-Cave: Tom_L, https://gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/debian-sid.html
08:49 AM Tom_L: mine ran without a hitch
08:50 AM Tom_L: pretty much what i did
08:51 AM Tom_L: the nic thing still puzzles me
08:56 AM Tom_L: looking at your ethernet ones
08:56 AM Tom_L: they're all the same from at least 10 up
08:56 AM Tom_L: and probably prior to that
08:57 AM Tom_L: i did this to restart: sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service
08:58 AM Tom_L: i don't suppose it matters
08:58 AM Tom_L: unless the syntax changed between versions
09:11 AM JT-Cave: sudo systemctl restart networking
09:12 AM * JT-Cave always ignores complaints about volunteers...
09:15 AM jpa-: somehow it is expected that volunteer-run projects would be quick and efficient about handling contributions, even though even big commercial projects are not
09:16 AM JT-Shop: aye
09:18 AM lenswipe: hey folks
09:19 AM lenswipe: I see linuxcnc is compatible with Ubuntu. Can I just the Ubuntu debs on debian?
09:19 AM lenswipe: I ask because some debs for ubuntu assume certain system dependencies or versions that aren't necessarily available on debian
09:21 AM jpa-: generally you can install debs meant for debian on the corresponding ubuntu version (https://askubuntu.com/a/445496/115468 ) but the other way it doesn't necessarily work (ubuntu generally has every package that debian does, but sometimes they are newer)
09:22 AM lenswipe: Gotcha, thanks
09:22 AM lenswipe: jpa-, another quick thing - I'm reading through the docs and it says: " USB devices cannot be used to control motors or perform other "real time" tasks. Some USB devices which appear as keyboards, joysticks, and mice can be used for user interface tasks through the hal_input driver. "
09:23 AM lenswipe: This is a problem because the CNC router I have is USB based....
09:23 AM lenswipe: However, it shipped with a windows application that seems to be able to control it just fine over USB
09:23 AM lenswipe: said windows application is what I was hoping to replace with linuxCNC
09:23 AM jpa-: it would be more accurate to say, that they are not a great fit for controlling motors with linuxcnc
09:24 AM jpa-: it can be done, realtime accuracy will not be as good, and there are no such example configs because most people want better performance than that
09:24 AM lenswipe: Makes sense. I'd imagine a proper paralell or serial port to have less latency
09:24 AM lenswipe: yeah
09:24 AM lenswipe: so it's more "this isn't ideal" than "this will absolutely not work"?
09:25 AM jpa-: yeah, and also "you will need to figure out the missing pieces yourself"
09:25 AM jpa-: like that USB controller probably either takes g-code directly or then some custom protocol
09:25 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: Also, with your machine, all the motion control happens on the USB board. The windows app just streams gcode to it.
09:26 AM jpa-: if it is one of those chinese CNC3020 and similar, i think it doesn't stream gcode and instead uses some custom protocol
09:26 AM lenswipe: jpa-, yeah i think it is
09:26 AM lenswipe: https://www.sainsmart.com/collections/genmitsu-cnc/products/sainsmart-genmitsu-cnc-router-3018-pro-diy-kit
09:26 AM lenswipe: that's it
09:26 AM lenswipe: (kinda)
09:27 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: True.
09:27 AM jpa-: lenswipe: that says it is based on grbl so takes g-code probably
09:27 AM lenswipe: Oh right.
09:27 AM lenswipe: interesting
09:27 AM jpa-: you could use laserweb or some other "g-code sender" application with it directly
09:27 AM lenswipe: So like a 3D printer my computer just needs to vomit gcode down the wire?
09:28 AM jpa-: yeah
09:28 AM lenswipe: cool
09:28 AM lenswipe: I have a 3D model I made in FreeCAD that I'm trying to cut out of wood using the router
09:28 AM lenswipe: I'd rather not use the questionable chinese software that came with it, so I'm looking for something that's not mining bitcoin and/or talking to china
09:28 AM lenswipe: (which is why I'm here :) )
09:29 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: Something like octoprint might work. It will stream gcode but the UI is setup more for 3d printing.
09:29 AM jpa-: https://github.com/Denvi/Candle the description mentions this program
09:29 AM lenswipe: ZincBoy[CAON][m], I have octoprint but I've never though of using it for CNC
09:30 AM lenswipe: jpa-, the description of the machine?
09:30 AM lenswipe: ohhh the GUI does look familiar - interesting
09:30 AM lenswipe: I just got a pen stick in the box and the instructions basically said "Plug in this pen stick and run the program"
09:31 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: That candle application looks pretty good.
09:31 AM lenswipe: yeah
09:31 AM lenswipe: I trust this a lot more than a random .exe I got on a penstick
09:32 AM lenswipe: (I also have no idea what (if anything) was compiled into that .exe ;) )
09:40 AM lenswipe: jpa-, ZincBoy[CAON][m] i have a 64 bit machine, so it looks like I'm compiling this myself. What fun.
09:40 AM lenswipe: :)
09:54 AM gywilo[m]: To setup 7i96s, do I just need Pncconf wizard? is 7i96 configurator also needed somehow or is it an alternative solution?
09:54 AM gywilo[m]: what is difference between 7i96 that I see referenced and 7i96s?
10:00 AM JT-Shop: the main difference is the FPGA, there are also other differences due to chip shortage
10:01 AM JT-Shop: I have a Mesa Configuration tool
10:05 AM lenswipe: ZincBoy[CAON][m], jpa- thanks folks, I'm now up and running with linux based CNC control :)
10:06 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: Good to hear it! Even if it isn't LinuxCNC 😛
10:10 AM roguish[m]: JT-Shop: good morning. hey, do you know of an easy way to map a network drive, and have it reconnect at boot, in debian?
10:13 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: You need an entry in your /etc/fstab file
10:13 AM JT-Shop: not off hand... but it seems like ^^^^
10:13 AM roguish[m]: that's such a PITA
10:14 AM roguish[m]: I know you guys hate windows, but it's so easy there..... why can't it be so in linux?
10:14 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: example:
10:14 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: //zincfile2/Design/MillFiles/VK45/nc_files /home/zincboy/linuxcnc/nc_files/remote cifs username=zincboy,password=xxxxxxxx,uid=1000 0 0
10:15 AM roguish[m]: and can't you 'discord' guys find a way to have better names here?
10:15 AM JT-Shop: where are my good jack stands?
10:15 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: You can set up the users in the smb config but I don't normally bother as these are low security systems anyway
10:16 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: What do you mean? I have no idea how I show up on matrix or irc.
10:17 AM * Roguish[m]1 uploaded an image: (29KiB) < https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/jauriarts.org/eFiaGcMtUumkrNSfXxohwIhK/unknown.png >
10:18 AM Roguish[m]1: that's an image from Element, pasted into Discord.
10:18 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: Interesting. No idea how to change that. Is it something to do with the bridge?
10:19 AM roguish[m]: must be..... it's just annoying. the long ID thing..... not the individuals......
10:20 AM Roguish[m]1: ok, here on Discord, it identifies me as a 'bot' but it uses the Element ID (name)
10:27 AM Tom_L: gywilo[m], use the mesact tool, you won't be sorry
10:28 AM gywilo[m]: will do
10:28 AM gywilo[m]: looks like I must go to 2.9 though
10:28 AM Tom_L: https://github.com/jethornton/mesact
10:28 AM Tom_L: nope
10:29 AM Tom_L: well i don't think so
10:29 AM Tom_L: 2.8 should work
10:29 AM gywilo[m]: I have 7i96s
10:29 AM Tom_L: so do i
10:29 AM Tom_L: and have set up a config in 2.8 for it
10:29 AM gywilo[m]: hmm, interesting
10:29 AM * gywilo[m] uploaded an image: (79KiB) < https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/jauriarts.org/LsmACQqIvyKEeLWQHXfEfRwK/unknown.png >
10:30 AM JT-Shop: 7i96S needs recent 2.9
10:30 AM JT-Shop: Tom_L, 7i96S kinda works on 2.8 but not 100%
10:31 AM Tom_L: yeah, i forgot it's due to the new hostmot2 drivers that havne't been backported to 2.8 yet
10:31 AM JT-Shop: yep
10:31 AM Tom_L: you _can_ build mesaflash 3.4.3 on 2.8 though
10:31 AM JT-Shop: yep
10:31 AM Tom_L: hopefully the driver will be backported soon
10:31 AM * Tom_L hates mowing wet grass
10:32 AM JT-Shop: then don't do it
10:32 AM Tom_L: well it's done now
10:32 AM Tom_L: it needed to be done but got sidetracked yesterday
10:32 AM JT-Shop: https://forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/46356-can-i-use-7i96s-with-lcnc-2-8?start=0
10:33 AM JT-Shop: my grass can always wait for another day
10:33 AM Tom_L: it's a shared space with dogs & 2yr olds so i like to keep it maintained
10:34 AM Tom_L: and scooped
10:34 AM roguish[m]: JT-Shop: you getting any flooding, like over in Kentucky?
10:35 AM Tom_L: i heard las vegas got flooded good
10:35 AM perry_j1987: seen videos of it
10:36 AM perry_j1987: i was just there last fall
10:36 AM perry_j1987: for first time
10:36 AM perry_j1987: had power go out when we were at el cortez casino lol
10:36 AM perry_j1987: pretty sure i had won the jackpot right as the power went out *tells himself
10:38 AM JT-Shop: roguish[m], we got 1/2" of rain twice in 3 days...
10:38 AM * JT-Shop is above the high water mark
10:39 AM JT-Shop: if I can get the Corvette jacked up before nap time I might change the oil today...
10:58 AM Tom_L: you should take it for a spin instead. it's Sunday
11:02 AM JT-Shop: road it a bit wet, any how it's up in the air now...
11:24 AM gowpjmu93[m]: I'll help 20 individuals how to earn $30,000 in just 72 hours from the crypto market. But you will pay me 10% commission when you receive your profit. for more details on how to get started
11:24 AM gowpjmu93[m]: +1( 539 577 9852
11:25 AM roycroft: i just removed my clamps and the cauls
11:25 AM roycroft: the veneer is stuck down very well
11:25 AM roycroft: i do need to do a little refinement to my veneering hammer though - there are a couple places where the corner dug in that i'll have to try to repair
11:26 AM * roycroft thought he had rounded the ends well enough, but obviously not
11:28 AM JT-Shop: after studying the threads on the frog screws which are the same as the rear handle screws they are #12-20 which is not in machinery hand book
11:28 AM JT-Shop: which has worn me down to a nap now...
11:35 AM CloudEvil: Idly wondering if machinists handbook has a proper nap formula.
11:40 AM roycroft: i have hundreds of #12-20 screws
11:40 AM roycroft: they are the standar screw used in equipment racks
11:41 AM roycroft: and i've seen them used in other applications as well
11:41 AM roycroft: funny that machinery's handbook would not list them
11:43 AM roycroft: oh, wait, those are #12-24
11:44 AM * roycroft is having an early morning brain fart, and should probably finish his cappuccino before attempting to think or talk or type
11:48 AM mrec: https://streamable.com/b2nj1f I will change this to form tapping in the future but now it's all done for the regular tapping tool
11:52 AM ZincBoy[CAON][m]: Very nice mrec. You won't need the pecking with form tapping. That is one of the nice advantages.
11:53 AM mrec: and it's just implemented like this:
11:53 AM mrec: G84.1 X152.584 Y-59.355 Z-5.800 E0.4 F420.000 R-0.100 P3.000
11:53 AM mrec: freecad is generating the g-code
11:53 AM mrec: I added threading to the drilling menu, so I can just copy the drilling operation and adjust the tapping depth
12:06 PM roycroft: that machine is dying for some coolant
12:07 PM roycroft: or at least some compressed air to clean the chips off the tap
12:10 PM mrec: I have it there but just not enabled
12:11 PM mrec: that was just a test run I'll finish it tomorrow.
12:13 PM mrec: for this threading it's more important that the aluminum isn't sticky on the tool
12:14 PM mrec: blowing it away won't really work..
12:14 PM mrec: adding oil/coolant is okay
12:14 PM jpa-: high-rpm reverse spinup in the air sometimes works well also
12:15 PM mrec: not with that stepper
12:15 PM mrec: its 1:5
12:25 PM -!- #linuxcnc mode set to +o by ChanServ
12:26 PM -!- #linuxcnc mode set to -o by Tom_L
12:46 PM * JT-Shop was wondering where roycroft got hundreds of #12-20 screws...
12:48 PM JT-Shop: https://holecuttersdrillbits.com/product/12-20-hss-plug-hand-tap/
12:48 PM JT-Shop: looks like you can get a #12-20 tap
12:49 PM JT-Shop: https://aplanelife.us/products-%26-services/ols/products/bottom-tap-for-stanleyrecord-toteknob-posts-frog-seat-screws
12:51 PM JT-Shop: https://aplanelife.us/products-%26-services/ols/categories/japanning-supplies
12:56 PM turnmycnc: hi does someone know how to get the backview of commands.set_view_y()
01:03 PM roycroft: in my delusional head, jt-shop :)
01:04 PM roycroft: and my 1943 machinery's handbook does list a #12-20 screw as an oddball size that some manufacturers use, but does not list any specificaitons on making them
01:11 PM JT-Shop: that's cool
01:12 PM JT-Shop: 20 tpi is 20 tpi and #12 is 0.216 or so
01:20 PM roycroft: i just realised that my job for today is a lot bigger than anticipated
01:20 PM roycroft: i need to clear all the stuff off the cabinets so that i can measure and fit the top
01:21 PM roycroft: i was thinking i just needed to trim the top panel, make the trim pieces, and attach them
01:21 PM Tom_L: aplanelife doesn't wanna sell many taps
01:21 PM roycroft: but now i have to move all my stuff
01:21 PM roycroft: to another place
01:22 PM JT-Shop: not at $40 each
01:23 PM Tom_L: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-America-12-20-High-Speed-Steel-Plug-Hand-Tap-1-Piece-DWTST12-20P/305700301
01:23 PM Tom_L: if you want it quicker
01:23 PM roycroft: and that includes moving my stereo
01:23 PM JT-Shop: freaking oil pan drain plug was not tight... my buddy that helped me clean the coolant tank yesterday asked me why don't you just pay someone to change the oil... there's your sign
01:23 PM roycroft: i'm going to have to slum it with a jobsite radio in the shop for the next week or so
01:24 PM * JT-Shop has PC's for music in every building
01:24 PM Tom_L: JT-Shop, not good but better than stripped out
01:24 PM JT-Shop: yep, the oil pan on the C5 is a huge aluminum thing
01:25 PM roycroft: buildings are not complete without some kind of music playing device
01:25 PM JT-Shop: https://www.ebay.com/p/664286766
01:26 PM JT-Shop: https://www.corvettecentral.com/c5-97-04/engine/oil-pan-cooler-pump/97-04-oil-pan-kit-batwing-nd-305293?returnurl=%2fc5-97-04%2fengine%2foil-pan-cooler-pump%2f
01:27 PM JT-Shop: glad I'm just changing the oil and not the oil pan :)
01:46 PM Tom_L: ouch
01:54 PM XXCoder: jt batwing pan lol
01:54 PM XXCoder: sounds like something batman designed :P
01:57 PM Tom_L: makes it go like a bat outta he..
01:58 PM XXCoder: george jetson is now zero years old
01:59 PM XXCoder: I bet that makes people who watched that show feel old. its supposed to be super futuristic show
01:59 PM Tom_L: pfft
02:01 PM gywilo[m]: should these simple limit switches work just fine with mesa 7i96s?
02:01 PM gywilo[m]: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CDF3Q6T?psc=1&smid=A15ZJ383KU425Z&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp
02:01 PM Tom_L: if they fit where you're putting them yes
02:02 PM Tom_L: not sure what's up with the leds on them.. that might present a problem
02:02 PM TurBoss[m]: opps sorry echo issues in discord
02:03 PM Tom_L: gywilo[m], https://www.ebay.com/itm/372481343109
02:03 PM Tom_L: i put those (similar) on mine
02:04 PM gywilo[m]: gotcha
02:04 PM Tom_L: the roller is less apt to catch on something
02:04 PM Tom_L: and mount them so they don't push against the arm, rather pull if you understand what i mean
02:06 PM Tom_L: http://tom-itx.no-ip.biz:81/~webpage/cnc/Mill_Steel/Assembly/X_Axis_limit1.jpg
02:06 PM Tom_L: so it can't hit the end of the arm and bend it
02:08 PM gywilo[m]: got it, thanks
02:09 PM XXCoder: certainly dont do reprap model, or make something go into and "smash" limit switches
02:35 PM CaptHindsight[m]: gywilo: lever has broken off half of them, can only 3 as homing switches, too wide to use limit switches
02:36 PM CaptHindsight[m]: not the best review
02:36 PM CaptHindsight[m]: Amazon delivered today Sunday and two days early!
02:37 PM XXCoder: nice
02:37 PM CaptHindsight[m]: business to business as well
02:38 PM CaptHindsight[m]: i guess they do pay attention to your posted delivery hours
02:44 PM CaptHindsight[m]: I've noticed that Amazon has lower priced items like DDR, SSD's etc at the same price with free delivery in about 5 days as the same items available from other sites after they add shipping for ground UPS or USPS
02:46 PM CaptHindsight[m]: and my business discount is often about 50 cents vs the consumer site/login
02:51 PM roycroft: i have some labels coming from amazon today
02:52 PM roycroft: i have my business hours listed as 7am-9pm monday through sunday
02:53 PM * roycroft is cooled off enough to be able to go back out and make the last saw cut
02:55 PM Tom_L: i bet you stick to em too
02:56 PM JT-Shop: hmm amazon has not delivered my SSD's to the wrong address yet...
02:57 PM Tom_L: they're sneaky lil bastards here... they sneak up silently and run
02:57 PM XXCoder: run?
02:57 PM XXCoder: they just throw packages from vans
02:57 PM Tom_L: and i've seen them driving just about anything including personal vehicles
02:58 PM Tom_L: but typically a fleet van
02:59 PM Tom_L: there's a hub up north and if you ever go to that convenience store there you will be flooded with amazon drivers and vehicles in the lot
03:03 PM JT-Shop: they all drive personal vehicles here
03:03 PM JT-Shop: usps and amazon
03:04 PM XXCoder: thats good way to shift maintance burden to workers
03:04 PM JT-Shop: rural usps delivery is by contract
03:05 PM JT-Shop: so you have to provide the vehicle
03:05 PM Tom_L: i can see that in a rural setting
03:05 PM XXCoder: yeah
03:06 PM Tom_L: my grandfather was a rural mail carrier driving a model T
03:06 PM * JT-Shop goes to see if the oil pan has stopped dripping
03:06 PM JT-Shop: traded in his horse?
03:06 PM JT-Shop: RFD
03:09 PM roycroft: my counter top fits!
03:09 PM XXCoder: roy awesome! congats
03:10 PM Tom_L: we would all be dissapointed if it didn't!
03:10 PM roycroft: not as much as i would be
03:10 PM roycroft: also, trimming the veneered top worked great
03:10 PM XXCoder: yeah we'd have to drive all way to your home to stare at you with diappointed faces. it'd cost us so much monney on fuel
03:10 PM roycroft: i used my track saw, and made a cut about 2mm deep first pulling the saw backwards
03:11 PM roycroft: that was the key to a crisp, clean cut
03:11 PM roycroft: and something i would never attempt freehand, but with the track, the climb cut was quite safe
03:12 PM * JT-Shop waits for the photo
03:13 PM roycroft: no photos right now
03:13 PM roycroft: i probably won't take another one until it's finished
03:13 PM roycroft: it's too hot to waste time taking photos :)
03:13 PM XXCoder: his phone or camera probably would melt. hot day (last day of wave probably)
03:14 PM roycroft: i've had both my iphone and my ipad shut down before because it was too hot
03:14 PM roycroft: they put up an error saying it's too hot and they will refuse to work
03:15 PM roycroft: it is overcast again today, so while still really hot, at least the sun is not beating down on me directly
03:16 PM gywilo[m]: when running mesact, will it actually flash to mesa hardware? or is it just for creating INI and HAL config files?
03:16 PM JT-Shop: yes, you can flash, reload, read and verify the mesa card
03:17 PM XXCoder: roy boy if clouds come in at bad time, next day'd be nasty. because if it covers say a hour after peak hour, it would help area retain heat
03:17 PM gywilo[m]: okay, I'm seeing that section now that you mention it
03:17 PM gywilo[m]: thanks
03:20 PM JT-Shop: np
03:20 PM JT-Shop: amazon actually delivered my package to me just now
03:25 PM * gywilo[m] uploaded an image: (110KiB) < https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/jauriarts.org/eazHLFlQTIXQwCXWdYpIuObf/unknown.png >
03:25 PM gywilo[m]: mmm, what's going on here?
03:25 PM gywilo[m]: I have not connected hardware yet; could that be it?
03:26 PM roycroft: once i do the milling of my walnut trim i'll be able to complete the job from inside my shop
03:27 PM JT-Shop: gywilo[m], hmm, I need to look at that, did the error show up after selecting the daughter card?
03:28 PM gywilo[m]: yes, it shows after I select 7i85s from the pull down; it's the only option available
03:28 PM gywilo[m]: this is your software, isn't it 🙂
03:28 PM JT-Shop: correct
03:29 PM Tom_L: i'm betting he'll have a fix by morning
03:29 PM gywilo[m]: very nice, thank you. I'm new to all this but it looks like a much be alternative than the other
03:30 PM gywilo[m]: s/be/better/
03:30 PM JT-Shop: for tonight don't select the daughter card and I'll fix that in the morning
03:31 PM JT-Shop: I see what the issue is but I do dev work on another PC down in the Cave
03:31 PM Tom_L: gywilo[m], what platform are you running this on?
03:31 PM JT-Shop: I get the error here too when I follow what gywilo[m] die
03:31 PM JT-Shop: did
03:31 PM Tom_L: JT-Shop, lemme know and i'll get another rpi file
03:32 PM * gywilo[m] uploaded an image: (110KiB) < https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/jauriarts.org/sZiJlGvfxpAJCivOtgxqunwr/unknown.png >
03:32 PM gywilo[m]: could this be user error? it looks like mesaflash is out of date
03:32 PM JT-Shop: ok
03:32 PM Tom_L: gywilo[m], what version do you have?
03:32 PM gywilo[m]: running on debian 11
03:32 PM Tom_L: mesaflash
03:32 PM Tom_L: did you build linuxcnc from source?
03:33 PM JT-Shop: when you selected the 7i96S if mesaflash was out of date it would have told you
03:33 PM JT-Shop: just don't select the daughter card right now, I'll fix that in the morning
03:33 PM gywilo[m]: how do I check version of mesaflash?
03:33 PM gywilo[m]: yes; built from source
03:33 PM Tom_L: gywilo[m], did you take notes?
03:34 PM Tom_L: dependency list etc...
03:34 PM JT-Shop: open a terminal Ctrl Alt t and type in mesaflash --version
03:36 PM * gywilo[m] uploaded an image: (15KiB) < https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/jauriarts.org/JItpeeJoSGLFAwVgWvHNOMvp/unknown.png >
03:36 PM Tom_L: will mesaflash with no parameters give you that?
03:36 PM Tom_L: i forget
03:37 PM JT-Shop: that means you don't have the latest mesaflash
03:37 PM JT-Shop: did you clone mesaflash and sudo make install?
03:38 PM Tom_L: https://github.com/LinuxCNC/mesaflash
03:38 PM gywilo[m]: I have notes.. installed dependencies from here:
03:38 PM gywilo[m]: https://www.qtpyvcp.com/install/bullseye.html
03:38 PM Tom_L: yeah i've seen that page
03:38 PM gywilo[m]: I think I used synaptic for mesaflash
03:38 PM JT-Shop: you have to clone and sudo make install, the versions in debian are not current
03:39 PM Tom_L: i suppose quite a few of those dependencies are for qtpyvcp
03:39 PM JT-Shop: remove that and build mesaflash
03:39 PM gywilo[m]: okay
03:39 PM Tom_L: you have to build it to get the latest version
03:40 PM Tom_L: mmm that's a different page
03:40 PM JT-Shop: mesact should have warned you when you selected the 7i96S
03:40 PM gywilo[m]: If I follow instructions at bottom of mesaflash github, that will build mesaflash?
03:40 PM gywilo[m]: uninstall first
03:40 PM JT-Shop: yep
03:40 PM JT-Shop: install dependencies then sudo make install
03:42 PM * JT-Shop goes to spoil the hens
03:42 PM Tom_L: libpci-dev libmd-dev
03:53 PM gywilo[m]: okay, I have mesaflashversion 3.4.3
03:53 PM gywilo[m]: I'm no longer able to pull that daughter board selection down
03:54 PM Tom_L: he may need to add it for that board
03:54 PM Tom_L: for the 7i96s
03:55 PM Tom_L: yes, i can't either
03:55 PM gywilo[m]: I can't for any other board either though
03:56 PM Tom_L: ^^
03:56 PM JT-Shop: you have to select the correct firmware
03:56 PM Tom_L: ah hah
03:57 PM gywilo[m]: I see
03:57 PM Tom_L: seems i've been there before...
03:57 PM Tom_L: i did get a programming error line 181 7i85s in utilities.py though
03:58 PM * CaptHindsight[m] thinks he can sell a hotdog for >$6ea with Branston on it, where is Andy?
04:00 PM JT-Shop: yes, and I'll fix that in the morning
04:01 PM Tom_L: JT-Shop, have you built po4a from source?
04:01 PM gywilo[m]: wonderful, thanks JT
04:01 PM Tom_L: for bullseye
04:03 PM JT-Shop: what is po4a?
04:05 PM gywilo[m]: I think I did do this successfully, here are my notes:... (full message at https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/libera.chat/237efcd049bf925f05609d2bc81929086242ae46)
04:08 PM gywilo[m]: how do I enable the second tab 'Card 1' on axes tab to add additional axii?
04:08 PM gywilo[m]: (in mesact?)
04:08 PM JT-Shop: I'm still working on that
04:08 PM JT-Shop: for the 7i85S?
04:09 PM gywilo[m]: for anything, I was just playing with other board, options to see if I could get it enabled
04:09 PM Tom_L: JT-Shop, it's that new document tool for 2.9?
04:09 PM gywilo[m]: I know your working on a fix for the 7i85S, so I wanted to move to a different board time to enable that tab just to see functionality
04:10 PM Tom_L: necessary to build linuxcnc on it
04:11 PM gywilo[m]: but when I used 7i89 with 7i76 for instance, that second tab is still greyed out
04:12 PM JT-Shop: yes, I'm still working on adding a second card to an all in one board
04:12 PM gywilo[m]: ahh, gotcha, okay thanks
04:13 PM Tom_L: JT-Shop, aparently you need version .66 po4a
04:14 PM Tom_L: LinuxCNC master branch requires po4a 0.66 can be built from sources https://github.com/mquinson/po4a
04:17 PM pere: it is just perl, so I belive one can download the prebuilt binary deb from debian and install it almost everywhere.
04:18 PM Tom_L: if the version is right
04:18 PM pere: which version?
04:18 PM Tom_L: 0.66
04:19 PM Tom_L: debian has 0.62
04:19 PM Tom_L: -1
04:19 PM pere: I used https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/po4a/download and just fetched the 0.67 version from unstable.
04:20 PM Tom_L: yeah but you know all the cool secrets!
04:20 PM CaptHindsight[m]: oh so now it's ok for Debian to mix repos :p
04:21 PM pere: Tom_L: obviously. experience must be worth something. :P
04:22 PM pere: CaptHindsight[m]: I would not do it for a network exposed package, as I will have to track any security issues myself.
04:22 PM CaptHindsight[m]: sumbuddy can just backport po4a to deb11
04:22 PM pere: for example you.
04:23 PM CaptHindsight[m]: oh not me, I hate software
04:23 PM pere: <URL: https://backports.debian.org/ > point to instructions. :)
04:23 PM CaptHindsight[m]: software is the problem with all hardware :)
04:23 PM gywilo[m]: it would be useful to have have additional options in the pulldown for 'Axis'; specifically 'E'
04:24 PM CaptHindsight[m]: if a backport involves a soldering iron I am all in
04:24 PM JT-Shop: gywilo[m], there is not E axis
04:25 PM JT-Shop: only xyz abc uvw
04:25 PM pere: CaptHindsight[m]: a backport involves a soldering iron. you need to keep it close to your back to solder the port.
04:25 PM CaptHindsight[m]: i could invent a 10th axis but it would not fit into LCNC currently
04:26 PM * Tom_L would not want to be around a machine with 10 axis and CaptHindsight[m] behind the wheel
04:26 PM pere: with a soldering iron, no less.
04:26 PM CaptHindsight[m]: gywilo: I'm interested in why you mentioned E, just a typo or did someone use E somewhere?
04:28 PM CaptHindsight[m]: IF I work on a 10th and 11th axis I'll dedicate them to Tom
04:28 PM gywilo[m]: I know not many people use linuxCNC for 3D printing, but some do; that would be the use, for the extruder on a 3D printer
04:28 PM CaptHindsight[m]: ah ok
04:28 PM Tom_L: E is for evil
04:29 PM JT-Shop: gywilo[m], there is no E in LinuxCNC
04:29 PM JT-Shop: you would have to use something else
04:29 PM Tom_L: ok bullseye now shows po4a 0.67
04:29 PM Tom_L: -2
04:30 PM CaptHindsight[m]: an 11th axis might be 🚀 no letter just an emoji
04:30 PM TurBoss: JT-Shop: hello, did this on mesact is not implemented yet but can
04:31 PM * TurBoss uploaded a video: (124KiB) < https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/jauriarts.org/nwJEvTUJGCliTtuKXXnluAEA/mesact.webm >
04:31 PM Tom_L: TurBoss, :)
04:31 PM CaptHindsight[m]: gywilo: people usually use A for the extruder
04:32 PM CaptHindsight[m]: with LCNC
04:32 PM JT-Shop: TurBoss, no, I have a PR for that but it needs a bit of work
04:33 PM CaptHindsight[m]: pretty sure a few slicers output LCNC G-0code ( the best) and use A for extruder
04:33 PM CaptHindsight[m]: G-code
04:35 PM gywilo[m]: what files are touched to setup linuxCNC as a 3d printer? just ini and hal setup files? perhaps I need to look at some configs to familiarize myself
04:37 PM CaptHindsight[m]: gywilo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dy8Dgzcgq4&t=4s
04:38 PM CaptHindsight[m]: gywilo: lots more at https://forum.linuxcnc.org/additive-manufacturing
04:39 PM JT-Shop: TurBoss, https://github.com/jethornton/mesact/pull/5
04:41 PM Tom_L: ok building lcnc
04:41 PM Tom_L: fail
04:42 PM -!- #linuxcnc mode set to +v by ChanServ
04:45 PM Tom_L: fail #2
04:46 PM Tom_dev: No rule to make target '../docs/man/man1/halstreamer.1', needed by 'depends/man1/halstreamer.1.d'. Stop.
04:58 PM JT-Shop: what are you building?
05:00 PM perry_j1987: this is going to be fun
05:01 PM perry_j1987: lost my place on this 8 pin plug
05:01 PM perry_j1987: hand slipped no clue where what wires go to what lol
05:04 PM JT-Shop: opps
05:05 PM perry_j1987: its all cable wrapped couple endstops and encoder and index all in a bundle heh
05:05 PM perry_j1987: all sharing same positve/neg so thats not bad
05:06 PM perry_j1987: just gota figure out what all the signal wires go to
05:07 PM * gywilo[m] uploaded an image: (176KiB) < https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/jauriarts.org/pACpxNiAeeMjyxqQkLaMVtQW/unknown.png >
05:07 PM gywilo[m]: looking at the comments linuxCNC 3d printer video, I'm seeing discussion and workarounds related to 'TP'... I presume trajectory planner? how should this be configured?
05:07 PM gywilo[m]: I don't understand this statement:
05:07 PM gywilo[m]: 'On the forum some users suggested that it may be due to the TP falling back to Parabolic motion in case of movements outside the XYZ 3D space, and the suggested to try and swap my Z and U axes.'
05:12 PM Tom_L: JT-Shop, linuxcnc on bullseye
05:13 PM JT-Shop: debian 12?
05:14 PM Tom_L: is it?
05:14 PM Tom_L: now you got me confused on names/numbers :)
05:14 PM JT-Shop: dunno, can't keep up with cartoon names
05:14 PM Tom_L: i think it's 12
05:14 PM Tom_L: buster is 10
05:15 PM Tom_L: what's after that?
05:15 PM JT-Shop: 11
05:15 PM Tom_L: no bullseye is 11
05:15 PM JT-Shop: ok
05:15 PM Tom_L: i dunno what 12 is
05:15 PM Tom_L: is that sid right now?
05:15 PM JT-Shop: sid doesn't have a number
05:15 PM JT-Shop: 12 is testing whatever the cartoon name is
05:16 PM Tom_L: yeah but i haven't heard of any other one out
05:16 PM Tom_L: i got ssd for buster bullseye and sid
05:16 PM Tom_L: right now i'm working on bullseye (11)
05:16 PM pere: Tom_L: suspect it is the result of incomplete 'make clean' targets. Try rm -rf src/depends/ src/.include-stamp and see if the situation improve.
05:16 PM JT-Shop: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
05:17 PM Tom_L: ahh yeah, bookworm!
05:17 PM Tom_L: no i'm not there yet
05:17 PM Tom_dev: pere, using debuild
05:17 PM Tom_dev: no target to make clean stop
05:19 PM Tom_dev: also, it was a fresh clone of master
05:20 PM Tom_dev: src/.include-stamp not found
05:21 PM JT-Shop: maybe I need to skip 10 and go straight to 11... but mesact needs some attention first
05:22 PM TurBoss: JT-Shop: how can I help
05:22 PM Tom_L: i think i have lcnc on 10
05:22 PM Tom_L: it gets confusing after a bit
05:22 PM JT-Shop: TurBoss, if you find anything can you make a PR?
05:23 PM TurBoss: sure
05:23 PM Tom_L: we'll see how far it gets this time
05:23 PM TurBoss: I'll take a look
05:23 PM JT-Shop: thanks, there are a few things that need work for sure
05:23 PM Tom_dev: nope, same error
05:24 PM Tom_dev: make[2]: *** No rule to make target '../docs/man/man1/halstreamer.1', needed by 'depends/man1/halstreamer.1.d'. Stop.
05:25 PM Tom_dev: the qtpyvcp page is for a rip environment
05:25 PM JT-Shop: TurBoss, https://github.com/jethornton/mesact/issues
05:28 PM * JT-Shop knows what the issue that gywilo[m] found is :)
05:29 PM JT-Shop: File utilities.py line 181, in daughterCardChanged
05:29 PM JT-Shop: ["KeyError: '7i85s'\n"]
05:30 PM Tom_L: yes
05:32 PM Tom_L: round 3
05:32 PM JT-Shop: building linuxcnc
05:32 PM Tom_L: on bullseye (11)
05:34 PM Tom_L: fail
05:34 PM Tom_L: tried make this time
05:34 PM JT-Shop: opps
05:36 PM Tom_dev: ./configure uspace
05:36 PM Tom_dev: uspace is accepted for compatibility, but ignored
05:36 PM Tom_L: don't need that anymore?
05:36 PM TurBoss: Tom_dev are you building linuxcnc with po4a from git?
05:36 PM JT-Shop: try ./configure --help
05:36 PM TurBoss: yup
05:37 PM TurBoss: have you added po4a to PATH?
05:37 PM Tom_L: TurBoss, i got po4a 0.67 from sid
05:37 PM TurBoss[m]: irrc is the bin dir i
05:37 PM TurBoss[m]: oh ok!
05:37 PM TurBoss[m]: then duno 🤦‍♂️
05:37 PM Tom_L: much easier for me :)
05:37 PM JT-Shop: see you guys in the morning
05:37 PM TurBoss[m]: night
05:38 PM JT-Shop: what is po4a?
05:38 PM XXCoder: have great rest
05:38 PM Tom_L: a documents tool
05:38 PM Tom_L: not sure what it does
05:38 PM JT-Shop: ah ok
05:38 PM Tom_L: for translation?
05:38 PM Tom_L: you gonna need it though
05:38 PM JT-Shop: never heard of it, is it required to build emc?
05:38 PM Tom_L: uh huh
05:38 PM JT-Shop: crap
05:38 PM Tom_L: now for 2.9
05:38 PM Tom_L: :)
05:39 PM Tom_L: haha
05:39 PM Tom_L: JT-Shop, did you take note of that sid repo?
05:39 PM * JT-Shop locks up and heads inside
05:39 PM Tom_L: for getting po4a
05:39 PM JT-Shop: that they added a number and cartoon name?
05:39 PM Tom_L: no
05:40 PM Tom_L: for getting the po4a deb
05:40 PM JT-Shop: no, missed that
05:40 PM Tom_dev: add this for po4a update:
05:40 PM Tom_dev: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main
05:40 PM Tom_L: or your local mirror site
05:41 PM JT-Shop: .de. should not be needed
05:41 PM Tom_L: it was in the link
05:41 PM JT-Shop: you can delete it to get a usa site
05:41 PM JT-Shop: anyway I'm off
05:41 PM Tom_L: bye bye
05:41 PM * XXCoder waves
05:42 PM Tom_dev: checkbuilddeps returns nothign
05:42 PM Tom_dev: or nothing
05:43 PM Tom_dev: a cog in the wheel is broken somewhere
05:44 PM Tom_dev: still stops on halstreamer.1 rule
05:45 PM Tom_dev: because it's not there
05:45 PM Tom_dev: how to build with no docs?
05:59 PM perry_j1987: ok just about done wiring up this new cnc control box
06:00 PM perry_j1987: coming out nicely
06:01 PM perry_j1987: just have to figure out 3 more wires
06:01 PM perry_j1987: two are endstops and one is index pulse
06:02 PM perry_j1987: just finish wrapping this all up then i'll fire up the lathe and use hal meter to deduce which one's what heh
06:14 PM Tom_dev: usr/bin/ld: warning: creating DT_TEXTREL in a PIE
06:14 PM Tom_dev: collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
06:14 PM Tom_dev: make[2]: *** [emc/task/Submakefile:37: ../bin/milltask] Error 1
07:37 PM perry_j1987: lathe is back up and running with the new control box
07:37 PM perry_j1987: it is so shiny and new looking lol
07:39 PM perry_j1987: oh no...
07:39 PM perry_j1987: gah forgot the wire color was diff on the pulse index sensor
07:41 PM perry_j1987: whats everyone else up to this evening
07:52 PM perry_j1987: nope just verified wiring its right
07:52 PM perry_j1987: what gives.. why did my index pulse quit working
07:53 PM CloudEvil: I am currently pondering open source mowers and stuff.
08:00 PM roycroft: aren't those commonly called "goats" and "cows"?
08:00 PM * roycroft is in the middle of a board meeting, which is a horrible way to spend a sunday night :(
08:00 PM XXCoder: aw that sucks
08:03 PM roycroft: i've put my vido and audio on mute, and am eating dinner while following the meeting
08:03 PM roycroft: not as bad as having to actively participate
08:03 PM roycroft: but it still sucks
08:06 PM XXCoder: not doing much of anything
08:06 PM XXCoder: I want to pick up bicycling again but with my vision not tracking, forget it
08:06 PM roycroft: i'm ready to start making domino slots in my cabinet top, but i'm stuck in the office
08:15 PM CloudEvil: roycroft: the code is so obfuscated as to be functionally unusable.
08:16 PM XXCoder: the goats and cows?
08:19 PM roycroft: i think goats and cows are pretty functional
08:19 PM roycroft: perhaps not easy to manage, especially the former
08:20 PM XXCoder: need to manage waste products also
08:34 PM roycroft: meeting is over
08:34 PM roycroft: and my shop might actually be tolerable now - i turned on the a/c when i finished doing the outdoor work
09:56 PM roycroft: it feels like the heat is leaving us
09:56 PM roycroft: not just cooling off for the night, but the end of the heat wave
09:58 PM norias: i hope you are right
09:59 PM roycroft: i do too
09:59 PM roycroft: this has been almost unbearable
09:59 PM XXCoder: yeah morning peak said to be 93f but its 90f now, and monday predicted, 85f to 80f
09:59 PM norias: i accidentally turned off my AC today
09:59 PM norias: I was working on stuff in the basement and bumped the shut off
10:03 PM XXCoder: ow
10:04 PM roycroft: someone asked for a pic of my cabinet top counter
10:04 PM roycroft: https://roycroft.us/New_Cabinets/36_Counter_top.jpeg
10:04 PM roycroft: that's it so far
10:04 PM roycroft: still a bit of work to do, but it's coming together
10:04 PM * roycroft will be so happy to be done with that project
10:06 PM roycroft: i would rather use some wood with some more red in it than walnut
10:06 PM roycroft: like the jatoba i started out with, or perhaps padouk
10:06 PM TurBoss: looks very nice
10:06 PM roycroft: even cherry would look nice
10:06 PM roycroft: walnut and ash are ok together, but it's not a combo i'd want to use on much
10:06 PM roycroft: thanks
10:06 PM XXCoder: getting there
10:07 PM Thorhian[m]: It’s kind of rambly but I’ve decided to try to create a “proper” readme file for my path planning repo. https://github.com/Thorhian/Path_Tinkering
10:07 PM roycroft: i just have the front trim dry fit for now - i need to miter the corners still and then i can glue that on, and then do the sides
10:47 PM norias: whoa
10:47 PM norias: Thorhian[m]: this is cool
10:48 PM Thorhian[m]: Thank you :)
10:50 PM norias: definitely watching your project
10:52 PM mrec: 400 holes tapped 3 minutes per cycle (I removed the pecking and it's also fine, I'm adding some oil on the holes before tapping)
10:52 PM norias: the paper you based it on is pretty old
10:53 PM roycroft: well it's time for a few months of extreme overacting
10:54 PM roycroft: i have finished watching season 1 of star trek: strange new worlds
10:54 PM XXCoder: ah back to classic star trek
10:54 PM roycroft: so chronologically by star date, it's time to move on to tos
10:55 PM XXCoder: where punch takes 2 minutes
10:55 PM roycroft: and
10:55 PM roycroft: kirk
10:55 PM roycroft: takes
10:55 PM roycroft: eons
10:55 PM roycroft: to
10:55 PM roycroft: say
10:55 PM roycroft: something
10:55 PM XXCoder: lol indeed
10:55 PM XXCoder: https://youtu.be/4SK0cUNMnMM
10:56 PM norias: Thorhian[m]: they make some good points, though
10:56 PM roycroft: that requires signing in to vie
10:56 PM roycroft: and i don't have an account with youtube
10:56 PM roycroft: but i know kirk v. gorn
10:57 PM XXCoder: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hnBp7x2QAE
10:57 PM XXCoder: sadly not captioned for me
10:58 PM norias: Thorhian[m]: I think one of the things I like about what you are doing is you seem to just entirely skip the quagmire of feature detection
10:59 PM XXCoder: rou should watch the latter. its really funny spoof of kirk vs gorn
10:59 PM roycroft: yes
10:59 PM roycroft: and i must say
10:59 PM roycroft: not bad for a guy in his '80s (at the time)
10:59 PM XXCoder: hes 90s now? (ad was at 2013)
10:59 PM roycroft: yes, he's in his 90s
11:00 PM XXCoder: wow ok
11:00 PM roycroft: 91
11:00 PM roycroft: the original lt. uhura passed :(
11:00 PM roycroft: nichell nichols
11:00 PM roycroft: nichelle
11:00 PM XXCoder: yeah sad :( she was revolary in 1960s
11:02 PM XXCoder: sorry couldnt spell it close enough for spellchecker
11:03 PM roycroft: yes
11:03 PM roycroft: first black woman with a major role in a tv show
11:03 PM roycroft: first interracial kiss on american television
11:03 PM roycroft: and her work at nasa recruting minorities
11:03 PM Thorhian[m]: It is an old paper, but the idea of using OpenGL and the algorithms built into the graphics pipeline gives a lot of benefits.
11:04 PM norias: Thorhian[m]: yeah, i'm reading it now.
11:05 PM norias: Thorhian[m]: to their point, i wonder if some of the advantages here can't be achieved with something like MMX
11:06 PM Thorhian[m]: Are you referring to the vector extensions that have existed on CPUs for a long time?
11:06 PM XXCoder: or raytracing, which is pretty recent (on gpu support)
11:08 PM Thorhian[m]: Who knows. GPUs are just great for highly parallel tasks, and OpenGL compute shaders can be used on a ton of hardware, including all current integrated GPUs. I figured I’d try it out instead of trying to bring OpenCL/HIP.
11:09 PM norias: fair
11:10 PM norias: im sleepy so i downloaded the paper to finish reading tomorrow